[sword-devel] DSS (Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls based upon DJD translations)

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Tue Nov 13 15:51:02 MST 2012

On 13/11/12 18:40, Andrew Thule wrote:

> Furthermore, we've managed to sort out that there is
> a difference between protections on cultural works (often produced for
> commercial advantage) and scholarly work, produced to expand knowledge.

Andrew, I find this all rather disturbing.

1) No one of us works for publishing industry.

2) There has been no grudging agreement from anyone with your rather
bizarre stance quoted above, nor has there been any "softening of stance".

3) We are all in it in order to publish and spread the Bible, not to
hinder it. Your accusation is ludicrous. If achieving our aim requires
occasionally negotiating and waiting then this is what we do rather than
jumping the gun, pushing out material we do not have permissions for,
offending people and subsequently gaining a poor reputation and less
access. As a result of our stance we are often approached by publishers
rather than having to go begging. We rather keep it this way.

3) Nic is right in his final summary and you remain wrong on all points.
This is not about detail (which you got all wrong nevertheless) but
about the overall attitude, where you are wrong too.

Wrt CrossWire, you have been told by Chris - and I fully support him -
that he would have little hesitation to kick you off the list if you
continue to promote your material. I would suggest that point is now
nearly reached. Some discussions are simply too tedious.

Kind regards

Peter