[sword-devel] DSS (Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls based upon DJD translations)

jhphx jhphx at cox.net
Sat Nov 10 14:55:17 MST 2012

Andrew, I don't wish to sound mean but I don't know how to soften this.
I can only hope that some day you appreciate the guidance people here,
are giving you.

On 11/9/2012 9:37 PM, Andrew Thule wrote:
> Jerry, what the Law actually says trumps what the copyright office says.

What you are implying here is that the quotes I posted from Cir 21 do
not reflect what the actual intent of the law is.  You may be surprised
to know that the Copyright Office is not the source of those quotes from
Cir 21. In fact the source is the 1976 report of the House of
Representatives Judiciary Committee on the House amendments to the bill
that became the Copyright Act of 1976 (H.R. Rep. No. 94-1476, 94th
Cong., 2d Sess., September 3, 1976). If those quotes don't reflect what
the law actually is then the House report does not reflect what the
House passed into law. There was an earlier Senate report which differs
on some points but in the case of these quotes the House report should
reflect changes in the proposed law after the Senate report and should
reflect the will of not just the House but also the Senate.

> I quoted the law itself which outlines restrictions on Copyright for
> fair use.

And it was addressed and also your interpretation.

> I also quoted the Law which justifies 'derivative works' even where
> Copyright applies.

Where you quote you also misinterpret.

> If copyright doesn't apply to certain types of work - you need to show
> that the source material I've used is NOT THAT TYPE OF MATERIAL. (I'm
> not making use of someone's novel.  I'm making use of their research.)

You contrast novel with research. That shows a fundamental flaw in your
logic. Novels and research publications are equally entitled to
copyright. Perhaps the bases for your misunderstanding is a common one,
that copyright does not protect facts and research is about facts so not
protected. The facts from research are not protected (not by copyright
but other laws may apply) as also any fact discussed in novels are not
protected either, but while the facts, ideas and information in works
are not protected by copyright the ways they are expressed are, even in
research publications as much as in novels.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/101
17 U.S.C. § 101 - Definitions
'"Literary works" are works, other than audiovisual works, expressed in
words, numbers, or other verbal or numerical symbols or indicia,
regardless of the nature of the material objects, such as books,
periodicals, manuscripts, phonorecords, film, tapes, disks, or cards, in
which they are embodied. '

Novels and research publications are equally "literary works" under this
definition.

> If derivative work is permitted - you need to show I've not met the
> conditions of derivative work.

A derivative work can not be published without the permission of the
copyright holder of the original work, because that copyright holder has
the copyright to the original and any material  from that original in
any derivatives of it.

17 USC § 103 - Subject matter of copyright: Compilations and derivative
works
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/103
'(a) The subject matter of copyright as specified by section 102
includes compilations and derivative works, but protection for a work
employing preexisting material in which copyright subsists does not
extend to any part of the work in which such material has been used
unlawfully.
(b) The copyright in a compilation or derivative work extends only to
the material contributed by the author of such work, as distinguished
from the preexisting material employed in the work, and does not imply
any exclusive right in the preexisting material. The copyright in such
work is independent of, and does not affect or enlarge the scope,
duration, ownership, or subsistence of, any copyright protection in the
preexisting material.'

According to (a) above your rights to produce copies of a derivative of
your own making, do not, extend to any part of it that was used
unlawfully (being without proper permission or exception).

17 U.S.C. § 101 - Definitions
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/101
'A "derivative work" is a work based upon one or more preexisting works,
such as a translation,  ...'

The DSS texts, because of age, are PD, but modern translations are
derivatives protected by copyright being the unique expressions of the
translators. The ideas expressed we hope are true to the original PD DSS
texts but each translation has it own way of expressing the ideas which
is the bases for copyright. Using these modern expressions without
permission or license is a violation of copyright unless the the use
falls under an exception in the law. Educational, scholarly, research,
personal, translation or derivative use do not simply qualify as an
exception. Fair use is an exception, but just being such things as
educational or personal do not guarantee that a use is fair use, as I
have already pointed out and as others have pointed out.

Jerry