[sword-devel] DSS (Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls based upon DJD translations)

Andrew Thule thulester at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 09:47:33 MST 2012

Brian that's not true.  The law does impose clear guidelines on when a work
is derivative, what constitutes 'copyright material' and exceptions because
of research, criticism, comment, etc.

I've posted those constraints above.

Copyright is there to protect someone who invests effort in creative effort
- but there are practical limitations to this protection.

If equations (for example) were deemed to be creative expression under
copyright law, this would place strict barriers around the advancement of
knowledge for example.  If you look at the exemptions listed in the
Canadian and US law cited above (criticism, comment, news reporting,
TEACHING (including multiple copies for classroom use), SCHOLARSHIP, or
RESEARCH) the law does recognize the creative component to the development
of that work, but still precludes it from inclusion for the greater good of
advancing knowledge.

Can you imagine what would happen if the Dead Sea Scrolls needed to be
re-translated everyone a non-Hebrew speaking scholar wished to work on
them?  We'd never advance knowledge.  Thus the exemption on scholarship and
research kicks in as does the scholars' convention' where once a text is
published this implies consent on behalf of the author to allow further use
of the text, and thus permission does not need to be obtained to use the
text further, nor is there need to engage copyright.

This is essentially how scholarship has always been done and why it has
this exemption under copyright law.

~A