[sword-devel] WikiMedia Extension:SyntaxHighlight GeSHi

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 6 03:27:12 MST 2012

A further clarification about my suggestion that DM might add the wikimedia
extension called USFMTAG.

1. CrossWire Bible Society is not yet a member of the Forum of Bible
Agencies International, so generally speaking CrossWire volunteers do not
have access to a registered copy of *UBS Paratext*, unless by virtue of
their day-time jobs with another agency.

2. This means that we gon't get to see how Paratext itself renders USFM for
display and print purposes. As Peter has helpfully observed, we get to deal
with USFM texts that have all sorts of quirks.

3. We might be able to use Bibledit (or its server edition) to substitute
for Paratext. Peter has found this helpful from time to time on various
projects. I've had no success with the Windows version though.

4. Having access to the USFMTAG wiki extension (and using it in a limited
way in the sandbox, or user space) might just help (from time to time) on
trying to understand what the translator was aiming to do in USFM,
especially when this is not completely obvious from the examples documented
in the USFM specification. When the translators make markup errors, we
should be able to deduce what the consequences are, as part of our feedback
service.

So I don't see it as a publishing tool for CrossWire, but I can imagine it
providing an ancillary means within our wiki to cross-check our own
preprocessing script outputs, i.e. by comparing module display (which has
gone through several software stages) with direct display from the USFM
source. This is a potential benefit. If no-one uses it, it does no harm. If
a few volunteers find it helpful, all well and good. If it gets abused, DM
can simply disable it.

Best regards,

David