[sword-devel] OSIS transChange and writing systems without italics?

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 14:49:46 MST 2012

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
> On 04/03/12 14:03, David Haslam wrote:
>> Any takers?
>
> Do we actually know what happens to Chinese text framed by an <i> in HTML?

Does it really matter? We shouldn't be dictating the method of
indication for transChange elements at all. We should be wrapping the
text with something akin to <span class="transChange">text here</span>
and allowing a CSS hierarchy in the applications, modules, and user's
preferences take display wherever they want.  Some might want italics
or their language's equivalent (a la KJV), others might not want
anything (a la NIV), others might want half square brackets, others
might want parenthesis, or something else.

The nice thing about a semantic markup like OSIS is that you don't
have to specify the means for display, and HTML largely has the same
options if we cared to use them.

--Greg