[sword-devel] OSIS Users Manual considered confusing

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Sat Mar 3 18:40:07 MST 2012

On 04/03/12 00:55, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> OK, if I could consider wiki to be the standard, good enough for me. If
> it is wiki and we can improve it, even better.

It is a wiki and it needs improvement. Basically it gets
updated/expanded when there is something tp update/expand, i.e. a real
world current problem. No one has made so far the effort to document
everything.

> Understood, I will leave US* formats on back burner. Seems like Michael
> tries to “sell” his preferred format, to which I will resist.

As I said in the other email - USFM is a good format for bible translators.

\id Gen
\c 1
\v 1  Am Anfang schuf Gott Himmel und Erde
\v 2 ....

You can add a large amount of structural stuff to it - sectionin and
paragraphing, poetical markup, footnotes, crossreferences, titles. etc
etc and everyone can understand it.

\id Gen
\c 1
\s Die Schoepfungsgeschichte
\v 1  Am Anfang \x Jn 1:1 \x* schuf Gott Himmel \f explanation for
Himmel as footnote \f* und Erde
\v 2 ....
\p

You can use Wordpad or MSWord for it if you are really hard pushed, but
there are excellent editors for it available with plenty of tests and helps.

The transition from USFM to OSIS is more or less lossless or rather as
lossless as we need it - i.e. we have not all USFM tags implemented in
our tranformation scripts. but only those we have encountered and we
simplify some as we have no need/support for them in our software - TRoy
mentioned we do not graphically distinguish between more than 2 or 3
levels of titles etc. We probably should, but that would require firts
work on the filters.

Everytime I get a new USFM text from a translator I tend to add a tag or
two to the stuff we can represent.

There are XSLT style sheets available which can also reverse the
process. I have never tested them, but see no reason why they should not
work well.

But it is no format for Bible software.

Peter