[sword-devel] OSIS Users Manual considered confusing

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sat Mar 3 07:18:25 MST 2012

Hey Matěj,

So, what was your question? :)

Any one of us could have technically designed the OSIS standard better.
Lack of technical expertise did not cause the issues you cite.

Nearly half the OSIS editor body is subscribed to this list, so please,
if you have an honest question about the standard, humbly ask and know
that there might be an answer you hadn't considered.

The reason, for example, there are 2 ways to markup Bibles: Book,
Chapter, Verse (BCV) and Book, Section, Paragraph (BSP), is because
there were 50+ organization providing input to the standard-- many of
which refused to consider using the standard unless they could markup
their data with X construct.

OSIS was more a political exercise than a technical challenge.  It is
not the ideal standard, but it is a standard, nonetheless, with
theoretically ABS, USB, Wycliffe, and other consortia of Bible
translators agreeing to support the standard as, at least, an export
format from their tools.

As a programmer, I would rather support x variations of markup within a
single standard, than x completely different markup formats.

So, not ideal, but the best we could do to appease the masses enough to
consent.

The hope was that we would draft the standard and then release a 'Best
Practices' guide which was the technical ideal for the standard.

The author of the OSIS Users' Guide is not on this list (I don't
believe), so in his absence I will defend his work and say that he put
in countless hours taking notes to document how everyone wanted their
markup used, and wrote the Users' Guide as a volunteer.  It's not
perfect, and it may be inconsistent at times, and could certainly use
improvement, but lets improve it and not tear down the initial work
contributed.

I'm not sure if there was ever a Best Practices document released.  But
we could certainly release one ourselves, which represents at least
CrossWire's recommendations for OSIS markup for best results from our
tools, and I think the effort toward building a representative document
is already underway by Daniel and Patrick.

Hope this gives a little background.

By the way, even though a lossless transform exists between BCV and BSP
XML hierarchies, I personally would always mark Bibles up as BCV and
never as BSP because my mind thinks in storage 'slots' where Bible
software needs to place each part of a document.  e.g., I need to
retrieve John 3:16, much more often than John, Section "Jesus Talks To
Nicodemus", Paragraph 3.

But linguists have a statement to make about the false divisions placed
on the text by verse boundaries, and some of them feel that statement
can be made by mandating an XML hierarchy in their translation document.
(my frustration coming out :)  )

Troy