[sword-devel] Question about verses combined in USFM and in OSIS

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 22 09:53:07 MST 2012

Although Luke's example is common enough, we also see USFM files in which the
translators have split verses like this:

\v 1-6a bla bla etc
\v 6b-11 more text

This is much harder to deal with.

PS. If Bibledit complains where verse range tags exist in USFM, then there
is a software bug in Bibledit.
It should be reported to Teus Benschop & fellow-programmers via the Bibledit
issues tracker.

PS2. AFAIK, the USFM standard does not permit a two verse range to be
delimited by a comma rather than a hyphen-minus. So this tag syntax example
should be reported as an error:

\v 3,4 text for two adjacent verses combined.

Nonetheless, we have encountered Bible translations in which this occurs, so
it may be that Paratext doesn't report it as an error.