[sword-devel] Wiki and spam

refdoc@gmx.net refdoc at gmx.net
Tue Jun 5 08:15:50 MST 2012

I think it was a joke.

Sent from my HTC

----- Reply message -----
From: "Chris Little" <chrislit at crosswire.org>
To: "SWORD Developers' Collaboration Forum" <sword-devel at crosswire.org>
Subject: [sword-devel] Wiki and spam
Date: Tue, Jun 5, 2012 2:14 pm

A quick query to Wolfram Alpha answers questions about primes, much faster than I could go through the sequence:

http://m.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=what+is+the+twenty+first+prime+number

I think the original idea of simple Bible-oriented encyclopedic-knowledge questions is likely to be our best bet. Spammers also have the ability to create accounts manually, or to get others to answer captchas. We can't expect perfection.

I can't see localization as a valid need. The wiki is in English; our code, docs, & support all require some knowledge of English; and anyone should be able to google for the correct answers within one or two attempts, knowing the answer for a different language. Anyone who finds this too onerous a challenge probably ought not to be editing the wiki.

--Chris