[sword-devel] Development, SWIG Bindings, etc...

Paul A. Martel pmartel60 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 12:04:50 MST 2012

Brian,
You might benefit from my experience, limited as it is. I have a
windows dev box with the free version of MSVS installed. I tried
following wiki instructions at
http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/Tutorial:Compiling_%26_Installing_SWORD_on_Windows
but got stuck. I don't know why. It looked like a problem in how the
project file was defined.  I am pretty sure that I was using a newer
version of the MSVS tools than the wiki author, but I don't know if
that had anything to do with it. Also, the issue seemed to be related
to issues surrounding a 32-bit vs. a 64-bit build, so maybe the
problem was my 32-bit machine.

When I asked about the issue here, the response I got was that I was
probably better off cross-compiling from SUSE using mingw.
Soon thereafter instructions for doing just that appeared on that wiki
page. AFAICT, that cross-compilation approach or something very much
like it may have been the defacto way to do a windows build for over a
year now. Of course, feel free to buy your windows machine and solve
these issues and make the world safe for MSVS sword builds, but I
haven't heard of anyone else (possibly excluding myself) that would
immediately benefit from this work.
I also don't know if there is an up-to-date non-MSVS windows native
build method for sword that uses gcc and/or mingw and/or cygwin.

I'm also not sure what demand there is for (continued?) wchar_t
support through SWIG. I could be wrong, but my impression was that
there was a strong bias towards using UTF-8 throughout the sword call
stack except where Windows insisted on using 16-bit wchar_t for
interaction with its file system and environment settings. In fact, my
main reason for trying to do a build on windows was to try to further
isolate these few cases and to wrap those windows apis that provided
the only means of supporting non-ASCII (especially in file and path
names) with functions that did utf-8 conversions.
But, as I said, I got stuck in build issues. I decided to put off the
suggested workaround of installing Suse and I moved on to other
projects. It may be that the problem of adding those wchar_t to utf-8
conversion has since been solved in whole or in part by someone with a
sharper mind and/or sharper tools than I have, but, if so, that has
escaped my notice.

That's just one noob's perspective on points that seem worth discussing.

In Christ,
--paul