[sword-devel] Status of KJV2006: Underlying Greek text, editorial updates, and linking OT to Hebrew

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Tue Jan 3 22:00:33 MST 2012

I just checked the actual data, and it looks like I was wrong and the
text is actually linked against the TR module that was current at the time.

On 1/3/2012 8:14 PM, Weston Ruter wrote:
> Chris:
>
> On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org
> <mailto:chrislit at crosswire.org>> wrote:
>
>     They should refer to the then-current Robinson-Pierpont Byzantine text.
>

> So the @src word indices should match up with the text in BYZ05ASC.ZIP
> found at <http://koti.24.fi/jusalak/GreekNT/NTTexts.htm> cf.
> <http://crosswire.org/ftpmirror/pub/sword/raw/mods.d/byz.conf>?

No, it would match the then-current text. Whatever was available in
approximately 2002-2003.

> That was
> updated in 2006 so I presume the KJV2006 would be using that version.
> Can this be confirmed?

I can confirm that that is not the case. Practically speaking, I'm not
sure that there is any difference in this case, since I would guess that
most of the changes were below the level of the word (i.e. individual
characters & diacritics). Revisions to CrossWire's KJV text since the
completion of the KJV2003 project have consisted of corrections to the
KJV text and markup.

> Is the actual Greek data used available?

Visit the KJV2003 page (http://www.crosswire.org/sword/kjv2003/) and you
can download the standalone client we used, which includes the specific
texts that were used for linking.

>Of
> course, in order to ensure we have the linkages between the KJV and the
> Greek, we have to know the actual Greek words that the indicies refer to.
>
> I'm curious as to why Stephen's Textus Receptus (e.g. STEPHENS.ZIP or
> ST-SCR2.ZIP from the same URL above) weren't used as the Greek source
> since the KJV was translated from TR not strictly from the Majority
> (Byzantine) Text, right?

The basis for the TR module was the then-current version of the file
http://www.byztxt.com/download/TR-PRSD.ZIP and the reason for selecting
that was, to my recollection, Dr. Robinson's suggestion. Troy might well
remember better.

--Chris