[sword-devel] Frontends:No longer actively being developed ?

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Tue Feb 21 07:12:50 MST 2012

On Feb 21, 2012, at 8:51 AM, David Haslam wrote:

> This message is somewhat "tongue in cheek", so please understand that it's
> posted to solely provoke a positive response.

Hopefully you'll find this positive.

> As the most recent public release of *The SWORD Project for Windows* is
> version 1.5.11,
> I have occasionally been tempted to move the link from the main page of our
> developer's wiki to this page:
>
> http://crosswire.org/wiki/Frontends:No_longer_actively_being_developed
>
> Jon's tactful reminder (in the Xiphos thread) is what prompts me to post
> this.
>
> If you visit http://crosswire.org/sword/software/biblecs/index.jsp
> you may wonder why our flagship front-end for Windows has seen no change
> since
> The SWORD Project for Windows v1.5.11 ( Mon May 19 01:28:42 MST 2008 )
> ~6.1MB
> i.e. Soon approaching four years ago!
>
> If you're a new visitor, you may well conclude that it's no longer actively
> being developed,
> and may therefore be inclined to just walk away to find something more up to
> date outside CrossWire.

Up-to-date?

IMHO, the front-ends are a portal to content. If the front-end still works with all of the content on the platform for which it was designed then it is up-to-date.

If it works well for me with the one or two modules I care about, why would I move on?

The most frequent complaint that we get from BD and JSword, is lack of content and the lack in JSword to support av11n.

On the support channels, users are not asking for SWORD for Windows to do more. The most frequent complaint I hear about it is that it looks dated. A release will not address that.

The measure of "no longer being actively developed" should really be "don't bother downloading as it doesn't work and there is no one willing to make it work."

In Him,
	DM