[sword-devel] [vu] USFM violation in Matthew 24

David F. Haslam df.haslam at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 21 02:53:39 MST 2012

On 2012-02-20 21:24, Kahunapule Michael Johnson wrote:
> To avoid insanity and/or excessive backlogs, the conversion from USFM
> to Sword SHOULD be fully automatic if the input is really USFM
> compliant. If you give me such an automatic tool, I'll integrate it
> into my build process. I'll be publishing Scriptures as they are
> translated, reprocessing them as each book is translated at times.
> Work on the World English Bible and its 2 derivatives will continue at
> a faster pace, too.

Hi Michael,

I've been trying to nudge and cajole my friends in CrossWire to remedy
various bugs and omissions in the tools we use to convert USFM to OSIS
for module making.
They're all written as Perl scripts, and there is more than one step
involved. The current major bugbear is the misplacement of titles.
e.g. We received a clean set of Paratext/USFM files for the New Turkish
Bible, yet the module TurNTB v2.0 now has these faults. I do get very
frustrated at times.
Yet I have to take account of the fact that, with a few exceptions,
CrossWire workers are all volunteers doing their stuff on top of their
day-job or studies.

We can discuss the further details when we meet in Frankfurt.

Thanks for the information about the "treasure trove". In regard to the
Vanuatu Bibles & Pacific Bibles, I was merely exercising my usual curiosity.
I haven't formed any plans for what to do next - just dipped my toes in
the water to see if there were any 'sharks'.

Warmest regards,
David