[sword-devel] Which is preferred in OSIS Bibles? bookGroup or x-testament?

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Feb 13 14:08:41 MST 2012

The issues, if I can remember correctly, are deeper than the utility
mod2osis, and adding lots of checks in mod2osis to account for all the
other issues is only putting a bandaide on the problem.

mod2osis should be a very simply utility.  It's logic should be:

set output format to OSIS
grab requested module

dump a header from .conf data

output module intro if necessary

loop through all entries of the module {
   output book intro if necessary
   output book <div ...> if necessary
   output chapter intro if necessary
   output <chapter...> if necessary
   output <verse ...>
   output entry content

output footer

One of the reasons this logic no longer works (it mostly did at one
point in time), is that we have some modules which store book <div ...>
<chapter ...> and <verse ...> in the module, and some that don't.

The inconsistency is what makes writing mod2osis complicated now.  More
than I want mod2osis to work, I want us to be consistent in how we
create modules.

An aside note:

We do all sorts of non-OSIS things when importing OSIS modules.  These
are to help real-time output when using the engine.  The RenderFilter
OSIS->OSIS sounds redundant, but this filter is what changes internal
SWORD OSIS back into best practice public OSIS.