[sword-devel] lang processing

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 12 14:43:03 MST 2012

Here's my 2 pennyworth as a novice module maker.

Specifiying a suitable font is an absolute must for some languages that use
non-Latin scripts.

cf.  I recently submitted a module for the Khmer NT, with a font specified
that properly renders zero width spaces with zero width, as well as
rendering the Khmer script. It's the font recommended by the translator.

Khmer uses a writing system that (in printed works) does not have word
boundaries, just like Thai, Lao and Burmese. There are some Unicode fonts
that can render Khmer script, but which display an ordinary space instead of
the zero width space that the translator has used for word boundaries.

As for font availability, the simplest solution is to include details where
to obtain the font in the About property.  Then if a user doesn't have the
font installed, at least they know where to get it.

David