[sword-devel] New public git mirror of Sword SVN trunk and why

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Dec 17 15:48:26 MST 2012

Hi Jaak.  Of course I would discourage confusing potential developers
with an unofficial fork of the SWORD library on gitorious.

But I'm confused by your comments.

My apologies if I have any outstanding commits in my queue from you
which I haven't committed.  Do I?

My complaint against the Bibletime code is that they inefficiently use
the SWORD engine by trying to wrap everything in their own classes which
even I have trouble understanding the intent.  SWORD was made to be used
in a frontend, and we make it pretty easy to use. I use it directly in
the frontends and projects I have written and cater it to real frontend
needs.  Bibletime, for the long life of the project, has said they want
to maintain this wrapper layer around SWORD such that they can replace
SWORD with an alternate backend in the future.  This has never happened,
and I the Bibletime frontend code which has been 'protected' from SWORD
has itself been rewritten many times, as far as I can see from the
mailing list.  And though we've tried to encourage collaboration for
years, we have seen next to zero contributions to SWORD from any of the
Bibletime team (no offence to Greg and others who contribute to many
projects and who do contribute to SWORD).  I have tried to get
participation, but I usually only get complaints and arrogant calls for
a complete rewrite from developers who don't even understand what's
under the hood.

I personally am old school and haven't acclimated to git.  I've used it
for work projects and can get around. There are many things I don't
like, but git proponents seem to love it.  I firmly don't believe that
our source control system is the hindrance to contribution.  We have a
fairly high bar for contribution because so many projects use our
engine.  In my experience, most open source developers don't take code
criticism well and are not willing to submit to an authority when they
are volunteering their time-- which is their prerogative.  We don't
allow our code to simply 'churn' because people want change it.  We
require a real use case and defence for changes, to protect our frontend
developers from having to change their code, and our interface has
remained fairly stable over the year because of this.

Having said this, I do have a couple submissions (e.g.,
inter-versification mapping framework) which I have not been diligent to
confirm and commit.  But unless this is your specific complaint, I'm not
quite sure why the rebellious nature of your email, instead of a
friendly conversation about how to get your developed new feature into
the engine.  I'd be happy to work with you on anything you've developed.

Just a generic defence,

Troy