[sword-devel] Speech synthesis voices?

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Sun Aug 26 23:31:57 MST 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 22:55 -0400, Andrew Thule wrote:
> Ok, good question, I see your point, but remember, visually impaired
> folks don't use mice.  They use modules that read everything on actice
> screens, representing possible windows and clickable actions with
> keystrokes, and they use Braille screens, which means most visually
> impaired people won't click random links, rather they will have to
> purposefully select the link using key specific key sequences.

I think there is some confusion on this thread re use of TTS in our
software.

Most, if not all speech implementations within the programmes are simply
an added feature, useful to get read a text while doing something else -
for people with sight or without. If the speech feature would randomly
jump about to  whatever else is done in the programme at a given time,
this would be annoying and totally beside the point.

On the other side there is stuff like Orca and other screen readers,
which assist sightless people to find their way about, using often
system hooks to intercept and re-interpret mouse and keyboard events,
following the user about as s/he uses programmes, windows and menus.

I think the only expectation one should have is that programmes like
Xiphos do not get into the way of such systemwide implementations.

Peter