[sword-devel] Speech synthesis voices?

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 18 07:31:26 MST 2012

I've just added this idea "* Per module assignment of speech synthesis
voices, or none." in
http://crosswire.org/wiki/Frontends:FeatureList#General_UI_features
http://crosswire.org/wiki/Frontends:FeatureList#General_UI_features

My suggestion is prompted by learning about the  http://www.ivona.com/ IVONA
*TTS Engine* for Android, and the choice of voices available for various
languages.

Some languages already have more than one voice. e.g. Geraint or Gwyneth for
Welsh.

"Geraint and Gwyneth, first natural sounding Welsh voices are now available,
for individuals and non-commercial entities in the UK for free, as a result
of partnership between the Welsh Government, the Royal National Institute of
Blind People and IVONA. "

Arfon Jones just installed this with his Android phone, and has used it
successfully with *and-bible* to read passages from the WelBeiblNet module.
He's very pleased with it. Minor quirks are the occasional reading out of
the word "comma" when the punctuation is present.

btw.  IVONA is still in Beta, and is free of charge until the end of the
Beta period.
/I'm merely using this as an example, not seeking to advertise on their
behalf./

This is something for front-end developers to consider, in as much as it
relates to the UI and the platform, as well as any preloaded TTS engine
and/or installed TTS application.

David