[sword-devel] locales.d submission Inuk: iu.conf & iu-utf8.conf

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Aug 15 08:37:03 MST 2012

On 08/15/2012 08:08 AM, Andrew Thule wrote:
> Yes, I see the comment you're directing my attention to now:
>
> "The /ai/ ᐁ-series has been recently readopted in Nunavik; /ai/ in
> Nunavut would be ᐊᐃ. Unicode gives long /aai/ as ᐂ, although I have
> not seen this used in texts."
>
> I'm not sure what to do with this however.  The bible this is suppose
> to be supporting is also presenting ᐂ (not  ᐊᐃ), as is the OSIS, and
> so is the USFM; the translators have not specifically spoken to.  So
> the .conf file I sent is consistent with everything else I've seen.
> Are you suggesting the wrong syllabic was used - or what do you
> propose?
>
> ~A

I would say that the translators should be trusted as much as possible,
so if they want to use those glyphs in the Bible, they should be left alone.

However, in the locale file, we should add spellings that do not use the
<Cai> and <Caai> glyphs for users who may use the more restrictive
orthography defined by the Inuit Cultural Institute.

--Chris