[sword-devel] GPL restrictions (was Re: using a zText module)

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 13:11:18 MST 2012

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure I see the distinction. For GPLv2 software A to be used by or
> incorporated in some other software B, GPLv2 must be compatible with
> software B's license. The set of licenses that GPLv2 is compatible with
> consists of exactly and only GPLv2. (This is distinct from the set of
> licenses that are compatible with GPLv2, which includes GPLv2, BSD, and many
> others.) GPLv2 and GPLv3 are mutually incompatible.

I think you're understanding "compatible" more narrowly than it
actually means. Here is the quote from the email exchange with the
FSF, asking specifically about public domain:

>The crucial words here are "or a GPL-compatible license".
>Public domain is compatible with the GPL.
>http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#PublicDomain
>
>Therefore this is ok and the application code can be public domain,
>while the library is GPL.

You might not understand, but this is how the FSF explains it. An
application may be non-GPL, so long as its license is compatible with
the GPL. That is, the license has to be one which would permit the
application to utilize GPL libraries. Any of the licenses on the
compatability list are OK for the application.

A modification of SWORD itself (including of the bindings included
with the library) would need GPLv2 licensing to be released. THAT is
the restrictiveness of GPLv2. But as long as I'm just binding or
linking against the library, I don't have to be limited to GPLv2.
GPLv2 compatible is OK.

--Greg