[sword-devel] TEI formatting, duplicated key (BDB Glosses)

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sun Apr 29 15:28:41 MST 2012

I would say Daniel's markup is great and need not be changed in any way.
The TEI filters are certainly still at a work-in-progress stage and
definitely need more work--now being a great time to do it inasmuch as
1.7 is around the corner.

Working from memory, so I'm a little uncertain of the details: The first
'key' is the value of entryFree's n attribute (which could be a
pipe-separated list of synonyms--values that have independent link
entries that point to a single instance of the full entry). The Strong
module in Beta shows how these pipe-separated synonyms appear when they
are present, and it's not particularly pretty since no one has attempted
to pretty them up.

The second 'key' is actually the entry title, from the title element's
CDATA. It represents the author's (or module author's) idea of what the
title should be, if any. This title should definitely be left as it is.

The fact that there is no space at all between the presentation of the
key and of the title is certainly bad. There should at least be a new
paragraph before the title text. The n attribute on entry(Free) is
largely there to signal to the importers what the entry keys are. I
would be amendable to removing it if there is consensus that it should
go. I think I'd prefer to retain it, but signal that it is not really
part of the entry text. One idea that comes to mind is right-justifying
it, placing it in brackets, and moving it to the end of the entry. So
the cited example would look something like:

H4899 {hebrew text} /anointed/

                                                                [H4899]

and a more complicated example, from Strong, would become:

G3778 οὗτος οὗτοι αὕτη αὕται houtos houtoi hautē hautai hoo'-tos
hoo'-toy how'-tay how'-tahee
Including the nominative masculine plural (second form) nominative
feminine signular (third form) and the nominate feminine plural (fourth
form). From the article G3588 and G846; the he (she or it) that is this
or that (often with the article repeated): - he (it was that) hereof it
she such as the same these they this (man same woman) which who.

                                          [G3778|οὗτος οὗτοι αὕτη αὕται]

I would also be amenable to changing the pipe to something else, like a
comma or semi-colon.

Thoughts?

--Chris