[sword-devel] Av11n and coverage

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 26 06:16:42 MST 2012

Without re-reading all the messages that took place in this thread, something
else today prompted me to look up the following in the OSIS reference
manual.

*7.5.1. Scope*
The *div* element has a *scope* attribute that should be used when it
contains less than a complete work. For example, some Bibles only contain
Proverbs and Psalms, in which case a *div* element should say, using the
*scope* element, that it only contains Proverbs and Psalms. That is done
using the *scope* attribute. The value of this attribute is written using
the rules for osisRefs.

Peter's topic originally envisaged *coverage* (or scope) being something
within the .conf file.

As far as I know, the SWORD engine makes no use of the *scope* attribute.
Nonetheless, I see no harm or disadvantage if we were to start to use this
within OSIS XML files in the manner in which it was originally intended.
i.e. Actually retain the scope value inside the module when created by
osis2mod.

The question arises as to whether there are foreseen any positive benefits
from using it. One possibility is that (given sensible improvements for the
source code) we could obviate the listing of a lot of empty lines output by
our *emptvss* utility.

According to the OSIS manual, *scope* is also a valid attribute of the
*section* element. An example of its use is given in section *11.5.2.1* on
page 65. Again, this is something which we don't actually make use of in
SWORD, though it most certainly validates against the standard OSIS schema.

This late addition to the earlier thread may also serve as a reminder of all
that we thought of at the time, especially as Troy is soon to take on the
task of working towards a release of SWORD v1.7

Best regards,

David Haslam