[sword-devel] Ubuntu 12.04 ....

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 23 08:20:15 MST 2012

On 23 April 2012 15:35, Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com> wrote:
> From the CMakeLists.txt file:
>
>    SET(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE "-Wall -O2 -fexceptions")
>    SET(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_DEBUG   "-Wall -Werror -O2 -ggdb -fexceptions")
>
> It is the -Werror switch, only enabled in Debug builds, that causes
> the deprecation warnings to be show stoppers. Last I checked Debian
> demands to build with "-Wall -Werror" and debugging flags (Dmitriijs
> has thrown The Debian Book at me several times for circumventing that
> build policy in my CMakeLists.txt files; apparently Debian knows
> better than its application and library developers what flags its
> applications and libraries need when building) and will strip out
> debugging post-build. So the problem isn't actually BibleTime's but
> Debian's.

Hmmm.... let's just be clean on this =))))

Yes, debian by default builds with debug symbols but we then strip
them into separate package.

-Wall -Werror is a good measure against newer gcc. Because a warning
*now* may turn into an error in gcc+1.

(you may have noticed I sometimes yank -Werror out, just to get it
build against gcc-snapshot/gcc+1)

Regards,
Dmitrijs.