[sword-devel] USFM to OSIS (was: Re: Some questions about the WEB module)

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 15 01:35:30 MST 2012

Hi Chris,

The way Paratext works in respect of USX is that, while the translator is
editing, an automatic conversion between USFM and USX is being done all the
time as a background process.

Providing new translations come to us from the newest version of Paratext
(i.e. with USX support), we could even request the source text in USX format
(as well as USFM).

For older translations, that have not recently been edited in Paratext, then
- yes - a conversion from USFM to USX will be required.
Clearly, the simplest way to convert such older USFM to USX would be to pass
it through Paratext.

This is why we should make every effort for CrossWire to obtain membership
of the Forum of Bible Agencies International.  We'd then gain access to
Paratext as an approved organization.

Administering which CrossWire volunteers are given individual user access
would still operate in the same way as it does now, on a case by case basis.
Yet having the Society accepted by UBS/SIL through membership of the FBAI
would considerably ease the process.

Longer term, it's envisaged that a more accessible edition of Paratext will
be released, one that does not give the end user access to all their
copyrighted resources.
I've been reliably informed that this is about 12 to 18 months away.

David Haslam
Go Bible project leader