[sword-devel] Websites

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 9 07:38:35 MST 2012

Thanks Mike,

There are separate conf entries for the two kinds of Distribution License.
See
http://crosswire.org/wiki/DevTools:conf_Files#Copyright_.26_Licensing_related_elements

The relevant ones are:

Copyrighted; Permission to distribute granted to CrossWire
Copyrighted; Permission granted to distribute non-commercially in SWORD
format

I'm fairly sure that the former types of module vastly outnumber the latter.
The scripties among us could easily generate the statistics.

For the former, Troy sees no hindrance to including Go Bible applications
under the same "umbrella".
For those fewer modules that do use the latter, where the DL is more
restrictive, we'd expect to have to renegotiate permissions in order to
distribute a Go Bible edition.

In the above, I'm just citing Go Bible as one example of a non-SWORD based
application.
Were we to extend our product portfolio to include Kindle apps and/or apps
for other e-Book readers,
I think it's safe to assume that the same criteria would apply.

You are right in how you prefaced your post.
It is all about getting e-bibles to the ends of the earth at zero cost.
Crosswire has an opportunity to grow exponentially. That will not be without
its own challenges.
cf. Our friends who work in YouVersion have faced massive challenges
entirely due to rapid growth.

I recently attended a conference in Germany in connection with digital
scripture publishing.
I was invited specifically to represent CrossWire and Go Bible.
More of this later, when I've had time to digest and report what I learned
in more detail.
Meanwhile, everyone - please pray about these significant opportunities.

Yours in Christ's service,
David Haslam
Go Bible project leader