[sword-devel] Detecting Problem Characters

Michael Hart just_mike_y at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 23 10:20:53 MST 2011

I've got a couple modules-in-making both of which I'm working on quote
marks that aren't displaying at all or are displaying block "mystery"
characters.  I'm spending time trying to separate apostrophes from
single quotes on both modules with the hope I can preserve or achieve
the ability to use OSIS <Q> tags....

HOWEVER

In both modules, at some point I've lost control of a few characters and
now ms excel or openoffice calc, or jEdit now can't see all the end of
line characters. That is, when I try to open the file VPL, it almost but
not quite works.  Some verses are grouped together in either spreadsheet
while jedit sees them as properly separated.

Recently or not so recently I saw a comment in some post describing a
way  or a program with summarizes all 'non-ascii' or 'out of this
encoding' characters that appear in a file.  I've spent time searching
for this post but cannot locate it or any information about this step on
the module creation wiki.

Can someone enlighten me (again) as to the best method to find offending
characters and deal with them?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

PS.  Modules in progress are based on these documents:

1. Holy New Covenant (public domain on publication in 2004.)
http://www.thomhackett.com/the-holy-new-covenant.htm

The "palm doc" file actually opens as a ms word 97 or 2003 file.)  It is
my intention to get this into sword to evaluate it as to it's
readability and usability.  From my cursory review is is a fairly
faithful treatment of scripture. Galilee Translation Team mentioned
appears to be affiliated with The Church of Christ in some way.

2. The Riverside New Testament (published 1923 and copyright renewed
(1948?) according to Google, but even if still copyrighted should be
distributable within the next decade... If I have my facts straight).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/zefania-sharp/files/Zefania%20XML%20Modules%20%28old%29/Bibles%20ENG/The%20Riverside%20New%20Testament%20%281923%29/sf_Riverside_NT2.zip/download

Came to me as a 'zefania' xml file.  Note that this file is now (after I
started working on this last year) already available in OSIS format at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/zefania-sharp/files/Osis%20XML%20Modules%20%28raw%29/

so this is really more of an exercise in 'what am I doing wrong' for me.