[sword-devel] Discussion on sword inclusion on openSUSE mailing list

Benjamin Misja alvanx at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 17 02:24:49 MST 2011

Hi everybody,

Just wanted to make you aware that there has been a very long and heated
discussion over the inclusion of SWORD into the official openSUSE repos in the
last couple of days. It can be read through here:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2011-09/msg00422.html

I did not participate, but it can be summarized as follows: A maintainer had
requested for sword to be included into the openSUSE repos (apparently
everybody was oblivious to the fact that it was already in the openSUSE
Education repo). The discussion went pretty well with the tentative conclusion
to make sure that the description is religiously neutral and that sword should
otherwise be allowed into the repos. Then, a few ardent atheists started to
take over, and arguments comparing the Bible to Nazi literature and about how
much they hate all religions were brought fourth. It is obvious that no
reasonable discussion can take place with these sorts of arguments. I am just
proud of the participating Christians who stayed calm and reasonable for the
most part, making the atheists look bad for their own eruptions in the
process.

Anyways, I think this is pretty much the conclusion they reached - to not
censor any package (as in: not allow any religious/political content), but to
rather make sure that the description is not offensive to anyone.

I'm bringing this up because I am wondering what the SWORD community can do to
give a clearer impression of our motives and also to make sure that we use
neutral language that is inviting, rather than Christian lingo that might
cause conflicts (and I'm not saying that we do).
Some things that were brought up against Sword that a clear information policy
might have prevented:
 - Crosswire is trying to gain access to the openSUSE community in order to
evangelize
 - the name Sword could be seen as a relic from a violent Christian past
and such.

Of course most of those arguments came out of sheer ignorance and the fact
that those who uttered them did not even bother looking at the Crosswire web
site at all, but nonetheless - I'm wondering if you who are in charge might
not want to set up some guidelines for packagers and some official statements of
purpose, maybe official package descriptions and such that packagers and other
"ambassadors" might use in cases like that so that there are no
misunderstandings and people don't see us in a bad light? There are some
informative statements in this vein on the website already, but it might not
hurt to think what can be improved to avoid any misconception about what SWORD
is and wants is not and does not wants.

Don't get me wrong, I do not mean to say that we should pay any attention to
people who get "offended" by crosses in public settings and such. I'm nut sure
those people can be helped at all. :-) I'm talking about the prevention of
simple misunderstandings and just good PR.

What do you think?

God bless,
Ben