[sword-devel] Pathway, SIL, GoBible and CrossWire

Nic Carter niccarter at mac.com
Thu Oct 27 21:02:44 MST 2011

An FYI for those who care about the current state of fonts under iOS.

Quick answer is that there are currently 58 different font families available under iOS 5.0

Long comment:

> In one sense, Android (being open) is more amenable to such inventiveness
> than iOS. You can only display Bibles in PocketSword for those languages and
> scripts that have been built in or approved by Apple. You can ask Nic Carter
> for further details.

You can look at http://iosfonts.com/ to see what fonts are currently available under iOS.  I have only allowed a subset of those to be used in PocketSword (if anyone makes a request for the MarkerFelt font to be available, I will track them down and hit them with a tomato!) and have also manually included Code2000 for use within the app for those modules that use the more "interesting" scripts...  ;)  Apple require developers to manually include and hard-code any additional fonts they wish to use, so unfortunately we can't use a system for users to manually install a font like they can manually install a SWORD module.
However, while this allows us to display the Bible text (in an HTML view, UIWebView for those familiar with them) for free in whatever font, it would require more work to use a certain font throughout the app for the UI, which I have yet to have time doing...

Hope that helps, for those who are interested?

Thanks, ybic
	nic...  :)