[sword-devel] Strongs and Real Strongs

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Sat Oct 8 15:58:45 MST 2011

Aaron Christianson <ninjaaron at gmail.com> writes:
> If you don't know the Hebrew or Greek alphabets, it is possible that
> the Strong's transliterations will be more helpful to you (though
> those may also be in the 'real' versions, come to think of it).

As StrongsRealGreek's "about" observes:

  Technical format rendering:
  Greek [beta] {transliteration} \phonetic\

For StrongsRealHebrew, the "about" doesn't say explicitly, but looking
at any entry, you can see that it is:

  Hebrew [transliteration] \phonetic\

The "Real" modules are in effect a proper superset of the older
Strongs(Hebrew|Greek) modules.  I really don't know why they should be
retained at this point, especially considering that Ulrik's Greek (the
source for StrongsRealGreek) is in fact derived (reverse engineered)
from the older StrongsGreek.

> The "inverted real" versions allow you to search for the word in the
> original language yourself, rather than having to rely on an available
> Strong's link.

Again from "about" for InvStrongsRealGreek:

  Limited utility due to the fact that diacritically-marked Greek does
  not sort well in UTF-8.

This problem has been brought up in sword-devel now and again, to no
resolution.  Frankly, word searches in these modules are very much a
hit-or-miss proposition in the current state of Sword encoding.