[sword-devel] Font size specification inside <divinename></divinename>

Sebastien Koechlin seb.sword at koocotte.org
Sat Jun 25 04:31:35 MST 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 02:52:14PM -0400, DM Smith wrote:
> On 06/24/2011 01:03 PM, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> >Yeah, for sure.  We also have this problem on swordweb. Any ideas?  I
> >thought at one time we were supplying a + size on the first letter or
> >something.  Any bright ideas welcome.
>
> Is there any reason not to use small caps? I.e.
> <divineName>Lord</divineName> becomes <span style="font-variant:
> /small/-/caps/">Lord</span>?

Yes, this is probably an english on american usage, but I've never seen this
in french Bible nor in the two german translation I have (I don't know for
other languages).  In fact, the king James version I have is also printed
without small-caps. This is probably another locale related nightmare.

- It's disturbing for some users (I have many bug reports on FreJND).

- At least one translator (Darby) choose to write God, or Christ without an
initial capital in some cases; which is mostly lost (hard to see) when
displayed with small caps (1Sam.5.8 for example).

- Many languages does not have capital letters.

For the moment, the only way to have a "correct rendering" (according to
some local usage) is to remove semantic informations.

I would like to have a way to disable thoses small-caps.

--
Seb, autocuiseur