[sword-devel] Rendering added words for languages that don't use italics?

Wed Jun 1 16:32:59 MST 2011

On Friday, May 27, 2011 11:29:47 AM Greg Hellings wrote:
> Of course, that provides no help to those modules who might use
other
> markers (NIV-inspired half brackets, full brackets, I've seen texts that
use
> an asterisk to mark such words, etc) for added text. In a browser
these
> might be handled with a snippet of JavaScript, but support for JS is
even
> more widely varied among SWORD applications than is CSS support (I
can't
> imagine that JSword can support JS at all, currently Xiphos probably
can't.
> And of course, I choose to completely ignore non-HTML front ends as
not
> being worthy of consideration) and is even less desirable than CSS.

Actually, that can be handled with CSS purely, I have worked on most if
not all of the Bibletime CSS templates (and am working on a CSS3 one)
and there is a :before and :after pseudo-selectors, and a content
command you can use to add content such as brackets or whatever
[Unicode] character you wish (for half-brackets for instance) here's a
snippet from the CSS for putting []'s around footnote numbers. And
this is well supported in WebKit which BT currently uses, and has used
for a while (or the parent KHTML engine) and probably Gecko, or other
rendering engines.

/* You may use this to add sourrounding brackets in Bible modules. To
do this the content command of CSS */
#bible .footnote:before { content:" ["; color:#8F2627; }
#bible .footnote:after { content:"]"; color:#8F2627; }