[sword-devel] Soft hyphens?

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 5 02:36:56 MST 2011

During the past few days, we have been working again on the USFM files for
the Belarusian translation by Professor Vasilij S. Semukha. This is one of
the few translations I have come across for which the source text files
contain a significant number of soft hyphens.

Extracted from Character Frequency: (BabelPad)

00002D	-	HYPHEN-MINUS	901
0000AD	­	SOFT HYPHEN	384

Once Peter & Chris have successfully compiled the updated SWORD module,
front-end developers would have an opportunity to test how their application
processes soft hyphens. Even the existing Bela module (now in CrossWire
av11n, but formerly in CrossWire Experimental) should facilitate some

NB. The module does require av11n, so not all front-ends will be yet in a
position to test this.

See also  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_hyphen

If anyone is interested, yesterday I extracted a list of the Belarusian
words that contain a soft hyphen.