[sword-devel] The Dutch Annotations upon the Whole Bible 1657

Benjamin Misja alvanx at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 10 10:38:38 MST 2011

Hi everybody,

Just out of interest, I picked up the OSIS file and tried to convert it
into a commentary. Boy was that a first encounter with xml, and OSIS
especially! Took me a while to figure out the thing about milestones...
and the shiny world of regular expressions...

I converted verses and a few headers to milestones (consistently)
because that was easier. I also removed the periods in the verse
beginnings (I have yet to see how much collateral damage this did) and
fixed a modest amount of typos.

Anyway, finally the xml validator says it's well-formed, and osis2mod
compiles without complaints. However, opening the module in Bibletime
results in (apparently non-Unicode) gibberish. The text displays fine in
a browser though. Validating it as OSIS xml (xmllint --noout --schema
http://www.bibletechnologies.net/osisCore.2.1.1.xsd
DutchAnnotationsOSIS.xml) gives me a lot of error messages, all of them
look something like this:

/"DutchAnnotationsOSIS.xml:65535: element div: Schemas validity error :
Element '{http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace}div':
This element is not expected. Expected is one of (
{http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace}a,
{http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace}abbr,
{http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace}catchWord,
{http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace}chapter,
{http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace}closer,
{http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace}date,
{http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace}divineName,
{http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace}figure,
{http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace}foreign,
{http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace}hi )."/

It is clear that somewhere OSIS standards are being violated, and my
best guess is it's in the header. I wasn't really able to verify if I
did everything right due to a lack of documentation (the wiki doesn't
mention commentary headers, the OSIS documentation doesn't either,
there's only one sample header in the forum:
http://www.crosswire.org/forums/mvnforum/viewthread_thread,773 )
Unfortunately this sample doesn't meet OSIS minimum requirements. For
instance, it doesn't define a scope, nor a copyright, nor a
versification system. (I might be wrong, but it seems this is more a
formality that not many modules actually meet...)

Also, it still isn't exactly clear to me what syntax is necessary so
that the header will be valid. Specifically, I was wondering about this
value: |osisRefWork="defaultReferenceScheme".
Is||"defaultReferenceScheme"|supposed to be replaced by something like
NRSV (as in: v11n), or is this a standard value for commentaries?

And: Do I, for a commentary, need to specify a versification system when
compiling, and in the .conf file?

Anyways, here's the .conf file (attached) and the osis.xml file (to be
downloaded here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1040719/DutchAnnotationsOSIS.xml )

Happy if I can be of help,

Ben

P.S.: I am resending this email. The first one (sent four days ago)
didn't get through because of some subscription difficulties (even
though I had been receiving emails already, I couldn't send them to the
list...). Hope it works this time.