[sword-devel] Unusual markup in the Treasury of David

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 13:23:07 MST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 2:03 PM, David Haslam <dfhmch at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I have just added a new wiki page for  http://crosswire.org/wiki/Mod2osis
> mod2osis  so that there is more than a transitory description. Greg's post
> has been lightly edited to put in the current status section.
>
> Who knows: It might generate further interest and maybe even a programmer to
> pick up where Greg last left off?

I'd be happy to do the work, having already delved very deeply into
the code and identified the two remaining problems with exporting
Bible and Commentary modules.  The lack of interest has been shown by
those with commit rights to the file.  I have multiple times submitted
patches, pushed Bazaar branches, hosted patches on
www.crosswire.org/~ghellings/ and hosted patches on my own websites -
they usually either go ignored or at least uncommented.

Two outstanding problems are:
1) More recent (<2 years or so?) versions of osis2mod include open and
close tags for verses and chapters, etc.  Detection of this would
require parsing header information in the module.  I refuse to do that
level of text processing without regular expression support in
stl::string or SWBuf.  I have the export working properly with modules
made before and after the importer change, but I have to compile two
copies of the program until I get the regex support or someone else
writes the C-string processing.

2) Modules in OSIS, especially those in the repository, were often
imported with older versions of osis2mod.  This leads to them having
invalid OSIS constructs within verses - they need to be updated and
reimported.  For those modules older still, and which are not in OSIS
format, the *2OSIS renderers in the engine will need expanding.  This
is a much larger task, but if completed would allow exporting of any
of our Bible/Commentary modules into OSIS.

Again, without some indication that my work will be included in the
distribution of mod2osis, I have no desire to put more time into
incorporating regex support in SWBuf, solving issue (1) or tackling
issue (2).  If you think this info should be up on the wiki page, feel
free to put it there and point people to
https://code.launchpad.net/~greg-hellings/sword/mod2osis which is
where I keep the publicly visible versions of the work.  I don't know
if that has my latest pushes, but it is much more robust and
up-to-date than the versions included in the library.

--Greg