[sword-devel] can't do lucene Hebrew searches in KJV

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Thu Jan 20 11:40:29 MST 2011

Historically, from the OLB days, Strongs Hebrew was prefixed with a '0'
to disambiguate the Hebrew from the Greek.  We started using G or H for
this purpose.  The KJV OT uses a source to which Larry Pierce does not
claim copyright on (he claimed copyright on the NT, thus our KJV2003
effort) but was produced initially for OLB.

I've not noticed this my self, since typically the frontend software I
work with provides Strongs searching as a clickable option, so the
correct key is simply pulled from the modules and works either way.  For
example:

http://crosswire.org/study/parallelstudy.jsp?del=all&add=KJV&add=WLC&add=NASB&add=LXX&key=Gen.1.1

Click on a word in any translation (except the WLC) and you'll be
offered a search option for the Strong's number.  Notice the difference
between the KJV and NASB which I'd never noticed before.

We should really normalize these numbers-- presumably removing the
legacy leading '0', but also should probably provide a way for the user
not to have to ever see a Strong's number unless they want to-- as
mentioned in previous emails on this thread.  My current means of
selecting per word doesn't solve the problem of searching for multiple
words, so I'm open to suggestions.

Nice catch Karl.

Troy