[sword-devel] [jsword-devel] Missing short bible book names for most languages

Martin Denham mjdenham at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 04:34:39 MST 2011

Hi David,

Yes we have the full book names in
BibleNames_*.properties<http://www.crosswire.org/svn/jsword/trunk/jsword/src/main/resources/org/crosswire/jsword/versification/>so
somebody could possibly guesstimate reasonable abbreviated book names
from the full book names.  There is the possibility of initially merely
using the guesstimates in And Bible until they were proven by a public
release and then pushing them back up to (J)Sword depending on how confident
people felt.

Looking through them again I think it would be possible to guess most
abbreviations and it may well be that there is no agreed abbreviation anyway
e.g. there are various acceptable abbreviations for Philippians, 2
Corinthians, etc. so our guesstimates might be considered valid.  On
consideration it would probably make more sense to manually guesstimate
abbreviations than to attempt to automate abbreviations in code.  Thai and
Ukranian could pose challenges but should be doable with a bit of guesswork.

Regards
Martin