[sword-devel] The problem with dictionaries (by David Ker)

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 15 04:54:40 MST 2011

My friend David Ker has worked for a decade in Mozambique with SIL and was
part of the translation team for the Nyungwe NT.

In this blog post he makes some very valuable observations about
dictionaries in the context of Bantu languages such as Nyungwe.

http://kanyimbe.posterous.com/the-problems-with-dictionaries The problem(s)
with dictionaries

Please take time to read it, and try to think how these observations might
relate to SWORD.

Some of our Bible software features assume that languages have certain
common attributes. An obvious example is words being delimited by
punctuation and spaces (not the same for Chinese!). David's observations
widen the scope of these issues. Merely being acquainted with the fact that
these differences between languages exist could prompt us to think about how
we might improve CrossWire programs to make them more useful for such
language families.

David