[sword-devel] Poetry support in Xiphos?

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 05:01:29 MST 2011

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 10:45 PM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:

> > Von: Ben Morgan <benpmorgan at gmail.com>
> > I think this is
> > an
> > example of why a checklist of features is not as useful as could be hoped
> > for.
>
> I think this is a bit off tangent and also not correct. The checklist of
> featurese we maintain in the wiki is editable - if a feature needs more
> detail - e.g. 1 level vs 2 level indentation this can be easily added.
>
> Yes, it is editable. But I also think that is off the point. Personally, I
don't edit it because I don't see much point.

Basically, any checklist like this is interesting in one sense, but doesn't
give a big picture. Some programs can have paid special attention to
features so that they are useful and discoverable, others may just have
shoe-horned a feature in and it is hard to use. Last time I looked, some of
the unique features of BPBible could technically be claimed by other
programs depending on exactly how I phrased it - but only BPBible did the
feature in a really useful way (I'm just choosing BPBible because it's what
I've worked on, though for various reasons I haven't touched it for a while
- no doubt other programs have similar things). Also last time I looked the
checklist was much too long and didn't always concentrate on what I
consider the important things.

In the open source world (and it's not just open source), sometimes it just
ends up a battle for how many checkboxes you can claim you ticked. I don't
think that is useful to the user quite a lot of the time - they care about
the general experience, and if the program doesn't provide a given
feature/option/etc., but does provide a good experience, they may not even
know/care, and that's fine.

Mind you, I understand that opinions differ and some people like the
checklist, so I'm not against it per se for those people - I won't be
updating it for BPBible 0.5 though anytime soon.

God Bless,
Ben
 For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone,
declares the Lord God; so turn, and live.”
Ezekiel 18:32 (ESV)