[sword-devel] BPBible 0.5 released

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 21 05:26:58 MST 2011

On 21 December 2011 10:53, Jonathan Morgan <jonmmorgan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:29 AM, David Haslam <dfhmch at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Just a reminder that BPBible is not the only front-end using XulRunner.
>> See http://code.google.com/p/xulsword/
>>
>> The developer of xulsword is already aware of the expressed concerns.
>

> The two are actually quite different.  BPBible is embedding XULRunner for
> use in HTML rendering, but otherwise using wxWidgets for UI.  XULSword is
> actually written in XUL as a XULRunner app.

As far as I know XULRunner apps are still supported in Debian/Ubuntu.
Embedding XULRunner is not.

I think my previous email about it came across very brisk. I apologise for that.
I wanted to point out that xulrunner embedding engine has been
aggressively dropped from Ubuntu/Debian archives (oneiric and up)
Such that as a user it is not easy to run the app; as a developer not
easy to package as a deb.

It is dropped from Ubuntu/Debian due to:
* mozilla dropping xulrunner embedding
* decreasing release cycle to 3-4 months
* decreasing support timeframe to 6-8 months

In long term it will be harder and harder to get xulrunner embedding
up and running.

--
With regards,

Dmitrijs Ledkovs