[sword-devel] BPBible 0.5 released

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 10:33:52 MST 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Jonathan Morgan <jonmmorgan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Greg,
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:11 PM, Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> If Gecko/Xul ceases being good enough for you or stops updating, that
>> might be a direction worth considering in the future. It's been
>> underway for quite some time, but I have no idea how mature it has
>> ever become. It was originally started by one of the main wxHTML
>> developers who saw that wxHTML was woefully inadequate.
> When looking for a replacement, wxWebKit was the first thing I tried.  It
> had a vast number of things with it that I thought unacceptable (the one
> that comes strongest to mind was that hovering over a link would not change
> the cursor from a pointer to a hand), and I couldn't understand the code
> enough to try to fix it (whereas I have made many fixes and enchancements to
> wxWebConnect).

Did you try a simple CSS solution like <style type="text/css"> *
{cursor: default}</style> in the header of your rendered HTML? If
wxWebKit doesn't understand that, then it's clearly got no business
claiming to be an embedding of WebKit. I've used that with great
success across all browsers for the past 10 years. Any HTML engine
which fails to even support that basic of a CSS2 operation you're well
right to just ignore!

> Three months ago when running into more XULRunner problems that were
> annoying me (some of which I was only able to mitigate rather than fix).  I
> tried wxWebKit again, and again concluded that it was not a solution (apart
> from anything else, it would hang and segfault too often in odd ways,
> including on Acid2 and Acid3.  It also ended up very much slower than any
> other WebKit browser I have used).  I am not in principle opposed to using
> it, but in practice I have never found it reliable enough or performant
> enough to fit the bill, and I gather that WebKit itself changes fast enough
> that this is unlikely to change.

It must be something with the wx port of it. BibleTime has had no
issues using QtWebKit and I haven't heard of related problems with
GTKWebKit in Xiphos either. It's a shame that wx is stuck without a
good solution. With Gecko/Xul APIs discontinued by Mozilla and WebKit
so plagued by troubles in wx it's quite a shame.  Fortunately Gecko
1.9.2 probably has enough support for what you're looking for as to be
successful for quite a while so long as it doesn't have glaring bugs.


More information about the sword-devel mailing list