[sword-devel] The SIL Pathway project

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 19:34:04 MST 2011

This afternoon I spoke with my project leader at Wycliffe and I asked
the team about this project. They were, of course, familiar with it,
since he is the manager for the general Wycliffe-on-Linux work and
FieldWorks is one of those tasks.

Apparently they were unaware that GoBible is a CrossWire project and
seemed genuinely surprised that they were already working with
CrossWire formats in their export.  They would, however, be happy to
receive help in the task of implementing a SWORD exporter. Both
FieldWorks - the application used in minority language research and
cultural investigation - and the Pathway plugin are open source and
leverage mainly C#.

When I looked, it appears the GoBible exporter mainly dumps into HTML
format?  If so, then writing a SWORD exporter should be relatively
straightforward if you wanted to run through imp+ThML formatting.  If
anyone has a knowledge of C#, please feel free to contact the admin of
the project who by now should have been made aware of the nearness of
SWORD as an export format. They were also interested if SWORD format
export would gain access to mobile platforms, which I assured him it
would, so if someone takes this up you might want to mention that
exporting to SWORD proper would allow the material to be used on the
richer mobile devices through PocketSword and AndBible in complement
to the GoBible on JavaME devices.

I will also be contacting the PM for Pathway tomorrow or Friday to
introduce myself and explain that SWORD format for his project would
work very well in concert with the work I'm already doing with
Wycliffe to bring large numbers of their works into SWORD.  I highly
encourage someone else to take up this mantle, as I have no experience
with C# and am already committed to another project using SWORD within
Wycliffe.  Even if you can't dedicate any time to the implementation
of the export filter, if they have a subject matter expert from the
SWORD side, the Wycliffe teams are very highly motivated and can gain
a major boost to their work velocity from regular interactions with
CrossWire people.

--Greg