[sword-devel] Normalization?

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 12:35:44 MST 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 2:10 PM, DM Smith <dmsmith at crosswire.org> wrote:
> On 08/30/2011 02:50 PM, David Haslam wrote:
>>
>> Is NFC normalization an absolute requirement for making modules, or merely
>> strong recommendation?
>
> Strong recommendation.
>>
>> Are combining characters permitted in source text for diacriticals where
>> there is no precomposed character in the Unicode Standard?
>
> Of course.

Be aware, however, that many fonts in many operating systems lack such
ability, and that many of our front ends use rendering widgets which
could easily barf on such functionality.  Xiphos and BibleTime ought
to be OK from a renderer's perspective, provided a good system font
can be found, but I would imagine BibleDesktop might suffer. BibleCS
probably has access to good fonts, but it uses very different
technologies, so check that one carefully. BPBible, especially older
versions, might have a tough time with advanced character sets.
MacSword is probably fine!

--Greg