[sword-devel] Is the 1.6.2 Synodal v11n correct?

John Austen gpl.programs.info at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 01:02:05 MST 2011

Chris,

I can also confirm that of the 3 newly printed Russian Synodal
publications which I looked at, all of them have Ps 114:9, but all of
them lack the other three verse numbers in question (Song 1:17, Isaiah
3:26, 2Cor 11:33). This all points to the same direction- leaving the
Sword canon is it currently is. So this is assuring.

But I wonder if it would be more accurate to consider the Synodal v11n
not as representing a single translation or manuscript, but as being, as
you said: "designed to fit a maximal set of verses that appear within
closely related translations or versification systems". The reason I say
this, is that there are a number of relatively new translations, which
are based on original language texts, but conform primarily to the
"Synodal" verse system. These translations are mostly Synodal versified,
but sometimes follow other verse systems in a place or two. Also, it is
interesting that most electronic versions of the Synodal DO include the
three questionable verses, including 2 out of 3 online versions which I
looked at. Maybe these originated from the same source.

If the Synodal v11n were to become considered as a related form rather
than as a manuscript. How would that effect the Sword canon?

John