[sword-devel] Is the 1.6.2 Synodal v11n correct?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Aug 10 03:30:26 MST 2011

On 8/10/2011 1:45 AM, John Austen wrote:
> If there are any Synodal experts out there: The Synodal canon was
> updated from sword-1.6.1 to 1.6.2 to add Psalms 114:9 which was
> previously missing. However, the current 1.6.2 Synodal canon still
> appears to be missing a few verses. Running osis2mod on a clean Synodal
> OSIS file produces the following results:
>
> INFO(V11N): Song of Solomon 1:17 is not in the Synodal versification.
> INFO(V11N): Song.1.17 is not in the Synodal versification. Appending
> content to Song.1.16
> INFO(V11N): Isaiah 3:26 is not in the Synodal versification.
> INFO(V11N): Isa.3.26 is not in the Synodal versification. Appending
> content to Isa.3.25
> INFO(V11N): II Corinthians 11:33 is not in the Synodal versification.
> INFO(V11N): 2Cor.11.33 is not in the Synodal versification. Appending
> content to 2Cor.11.32
>
> Please advise: Is another fix to the cannon needed?

Versification systems in Sword come in two varieties. One type is based
on a single translation or manuscript (e.g. Leningrad, NRSVA, Luther, &
KJV). The other is designed to fit a maximal set of verses that appear
within closely related translations or versification systems (e.g. Vulg,
Catholic, & Catholic2).

The Synodal v11n system is of the former type, but was supplemented by
the addition of Ps 114:9 when it was pointed out that some RSBs do
contain a Ps 114:9. (None of the exemplar texts used to generate the
Synodal v11n in 1.6.1 evidence this verse, but it was confirmed in a
printed edition.)

I checked the three verses you identify, and they do not appear in any
of the texts we used to create the original 1.6.1 version of Synodal. I
don't have a printed RSB in my possession, and won't have the
opportunity to check one for a few weeks. To consider their addition, we
would need confirmation that these verses exist in this reference system.

Looking at these three verses, though, I note that (in contrast to Ps
114:9) they are all present in the KJV versification, so I'm obliged to
wonder whether the "clean Synodal OSIS file" you are using hasn't
already been re-versified to the KJV v11n. Are all of the other verse
slots filled with textual content (as reported by emptyvss, for example)?

--Chris