[sword-devel] Change to Synodal verse system

John Austen gpl.programs.info at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 00:48:01 MST 2011

An error in the Synodal verse system (canon_synodal.h) was fixed in
sword-1.6.2, which is great. Psalms 114:9 was missing from the verse
system, but has now been included.

My concern is that the fixed verse system has the same name as the old
one. So the many existing Synodal Sword modules are no longer compatible
with Sword, and new Synodal modules are not compatible with older Sword
programs. Since Sword programs and Sword modules are upgraded
independently from one another, this will cause the many current users
of Synodal texts great problems and frustrations in the future.

Does anyone have ideas on a solution to this problem?

I'm wondering if in this very special case (a fix to a cannon) we might
do the following: Give the new (fixed) "Synodal" cannon a new name. Then
allow both the old "Synodal" and the new Synodal verse systems to remain
in the codebase together for a reasonable time (maybe a year). Then,
after most users will have upgraded both their programs and modules for
other reasons, we can remove the old "Synodal" cannon from the code
base, keeping only the new one. In this way, most users will never
notice the transition, which is a very good thing since many Synodal
users are not necessarily computer savvy enough to be able to diagnose
and fix such an enigmatic incompatibility on their own.

Thanks,
John