[sword-devel] Hyphens in book names

Robert Hunt hunt.robertj at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 18:43:35 MST 2010

My apologies. I didn't expect such lectures on this list over picky
definitions. :-( (As well as hyphenated names, consider the difference
in meaning between English "prayer" and "pray-er". Or load the SWORD
Tagalog Ang Biblia module [that's the Philippine national language] and
look at 1 Peter 2:9 where the hyphen in the simple affixed word
"pag-aaring" represents the glottal stop. Cebuano is/was the
widest-spoken first-language in the Philippines spoken by tens of
millions of people and although I can't see a Sword module for it, you
will find a Cebuano Bible full of hyphens used in simple words [and for
at least one BOOK NAME] -- see if you can find a page WITHOUT such a
hyphen.) You might argue that that hyphen is not a "letter" in the
strictest sense of the word (because it's not conventional to include it
in alphabets), but it's certainly a word-building character representing
a sound in many of the 170 languages in the Philippines and not just
"little tribal" ones. If you look carefully, think you'll actually find
that the hyphen is used in MANY major languages as a word-building
character AS WELL AS a punctuation character despite the binary-only
thinking of the Unicode people.

I was trying to ask about a genuine need. (I think I also got the
impression that Vietnamese and Hindi/Nepali have similar issues.) Thanks
for your post, Troy. Yes, the hyphen is also used in such cases to
represent ranges, but it seems that the context is fairly unambiguous
there. :-)

Going quiet now,
Robert.