[sword-devel] Hyphens in book names

Robert Hunt hunt.robertj at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 15:57:02 MST 2010

On 30/09/10 11:06, Chris Little wrote:
> Seriously? Someone designed an orthography in which \x2D
> (hyphen-minus) is used as an alphabetic character? What's its phonemic
> value?
Oh! I guess I've been using hyphenated words in English since I learnt
to write. I unthinkingly used it in the word "work-around" in my
original email below. What Unicode character does that get encoded as?

> Hyphen-minus is simply not a letter. You can see its character
> properties at
> http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2d/index.htm. Scroll down
> to see that the value of isLetter() is No. Hyphen-minus is punctuation.
>
> Sword should not be modified to accommodate abuses of the Unicode
> Standard. If you can find a hyphen-like letter in the Unicode
> character repertoire, I would suggest changing to that (in all cases).
> Letters will indicate that they are letters in their character
> properties. If there is no such character, you should propose one to
> Unicode.
"Abuse" sounds pretty strong to me in this context. It makes one really
wonder whether Unicode defines the world, or whether language came first
and Unicode came later? However, I guess using a different Unicode
character would be a satisfactory work-around if the user could find a
way to type that character (and knew to do it)???