[sword-devel] ACDCref, a modified ACDC module: hot-linking verse references

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Mon Sep 20 09:34:37 MST 2010

On 9/20/2010 7:38 AM, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> In the Xiphos repo, I've just placed a new module ACDCref, which is an
> update to the ACDC module present in CrossWire Beta repo.
> This module makes just one change: It wraps all verse references in
> <ref>  attributes, rendering them clickable.  That's all.  It's not
> perfect, but it's a good step forward.  It's another of my sed-driven
> creations, syntactically discovering BCVs and wrapping them.
> We're all about Bible software; I think having modules that always link
> Bible references is, by now and in our world, a base-level necessity.
> In general, I find anything that adds to or generally improves
> navigability within display to be something we ought to aim for.  And in
> this case, it's easy, nearly a freebie.  I can't see any reason why we
> would ever decline to link BCVs.
> Consider this module's change to be a proof-of-concept demo.  It really
> ought to be re-done in the source document.  There are 62 changed
> references.

This was a planned feature of the current modules (ACDC && ChurchHandy),
but I got too busy with real life, so I decided to release as is and
update later. As you'll notice, tagging of cross-references and Bible
references in them is not trivial and cannot be handled entirely via

> On a related note, Brian Dumont and I have been scratching our heads,
> wondering why TEI uses<ref>  instead of<reference>.  This seems a
> completely pointless terminology difference between TEI and OSIS.

I don't understand the issue. TEI is not OSIS, and though the latter is
heavily influenced by the former, there are differences, even where two
elements serve similar functions.