[sword-devel] Android SWORD

Kenneth Arnold kcarnold at alum.mit.edu
Mon Sep 6 14:41:24 MST 2010

This thread got rather sidetracked by the version control issue;
personally I use git daily but usually in a centralized workflow. I
think between github and GUIs like TortoiseGit it's not a big burden
for new users ("just remember to Push"). Also, many open-source
projects I follow have switched from bzr/Launchpad to github. But I
have no strong feelings on what direction the various projects here
should go. Now back on topic...

Once the libsword-JNI bindings are stabilized and the build process is
smoothed out, the only significant difference between them and JSword
for Android should be speed, so let's measure that. There may also be
differences in formatting, so let's go with the one that formats
better and is faster. (Caching and prefetch could smooth over most
visible speed differences, so maybe it's just which one formats
better.) I also once lamented the complexity of doing simple things
with the libsword C++ API, but I wrote a Python ztext reader instead
of what I should have done, which is: help improve the code :)

It doesn't look like the current way and-bible uses WebView allows you
to do much with the text besides display it. I'm considering replacing
the static page with a Javascript viewer that calls Java methods using
addJavascriptInterface [1]. This would theoretically allow accurate
verse position information and continuous scrolling (assuming the
ability to call Javascript from Java, which may be possible with
loadUrl [2]), but would require some significant HTML and Javascript
work. Are there any web-based SWORD viewers that might be adaptable to
that purpose?

Btw, PocketSword users, how do you like the interface? Should we just
do the same thing on Android?

For those that would prefer to pay now instead of waiting for
open-source, CadreBible and Olive Tree's BibleReader both have nice
(though not perfect) interfaces.

So Martin, enjoy your holidays and see you when you get back.

-Ken

[1] http://developer.android.com/reference/android/webkit/WebView.html#addJavascriptInterface%28java.lang.Object,%20java.lang.String%29
[2] http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/6ed23efa4d22f7e6