[sword-devel] SBLGNT import: OSIS, vanilla XML, or plain text?

Weston Ruter weston at openscriptures.org
Sat Oct 30 11:07:49 MST 2010

Both of the XML formats (sblgnt and OSIS) are better than plain text as the
words are already marked up. But of the two, I think the sblgnt XML version
is probably the best format to use for our uses in the Open Scriptures
models. It marks up puncutation in <suffix> elements (not sure why they're
called "suffix"), whereas the OSIS XML format encodes punctuation in bare
text nodes. It seems like the sblgnt XML format encodes the most

As for a general OSIS importer, the wide variety of OSIS encoding styles I
think would make a general OSIS importer pretty difficult. In fact I think
this is just what the CrossWire guys have already done with their osis2mod
tool. So if we wanted to make a general importer, we should target the SWORD
Module format which is normalized OSIS with a special encoding. This would
probably be a very worthwhile effort.

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Nathan Smith <nathan at nathansmith.me> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Rick Brannan <textgeek at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Nathan
>> The plain text is one verse per line; perhaps there is some newline
>> encoding issue? It uses \n via C# to get the newlines in.
>> Rick Brannan
> OK, I see that now. I just didn't look carefully enough when I opened up
> the file. :-)
> --
> Nathan Smith
> nathan at nathansmith.me